Recipe: Asparagus, Mushroom and Ham Quiche with a Potato Crust
Summary: Asparagus is full of vitamin A, which contributes to adult brain plasticity—helping you keep your brain learning and growing as you age.
- 1-2 russet potatoes, sliced very thinly
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ½ sweet yellow onion, diced
- 4 oz button mushrooms, sliced
- 8 grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 cup ham, diced
- 5 asparagus spears, ends removed, cut into thirds
- ¼ cup Swiss cheese, shredded (more if desired)
- 8 eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup of milk
- Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper
- Cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Coat a pie pan with cooking spray. Layer thin slices of potato in the pan, overlapping, to completely cover the bottom and sides. Spray with cooking spray again and bake in the oven for 7-10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and mushrooms and season to taste with salt. Sauté the onions and mushrooms for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown and tender.
- Distribute onions, mushrooms, asparagus, tomatoes, diced ham, and Swiss cheese in the potato crust.
- Beat eggs and milk together, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour the egg mixture on top of the veggies and ham.
- Place the quiche in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center of the quiche comes out clean
- Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes before slicing.
Number of servings (yield): 6